Tuesday, December 9, 2008

State ID and Driver's License

It is easy to get a State ID and a Driver's License but it takes time for the latter. If you have the requirements, then the processing is quicker. For the state ID, your I-94 should be at least 30 days valid (here in California state because each state's policy is different as what I have heard). If it is not valid anymore, you can still apply for a non-driving state ID. You need a Social Security number instead of the I-94 or departure card in order to obtain one. Present it along with your passport.
As for the driver's license, a Green Card is required, SS number and a passport. Since I had my Philippine Driver's license, I had applied right away for a CA Driver's license. I just presented my State ID as a requirement for the application along with the DMV form. After the application, a written test is scheduled then a manual test, meaning, a hands-on driving with the instructor/examiner. I suggest if you get a license if you are still in Phillipines so it would be cheaper and easier to get a license here. If you don't have yet a DL when you apply here, you will be asked to enrol in a driving school which is expensive here (around $300) compared to Philippine fees. Once you are done with the lessons, the same procedure is made to apply a DL. You can visit your local DMV office for the requirements and more information. You can also check the web online.

4 comments:

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

I think State ID is just for the people who will stay temporarily in the states. A lot of people use their Driver's License as an identification...

I never had state ID. I got my PI driver's license and good news was I didn't have to take the road test.

Felicity said...

NON-DRIVING State ID is useful for people who are new in the state since this is the easiest one u can get to support your identity. You can use ur other IDs but this one is issued by the state. Though it is not required for each individual to get it. Very helpful for those who don't have any ID yet.

Here in CA, a written test and a road test are required even if you have a DL from other Countries. BUT you will not be asked anymore to study driving lessons (which is costly compared to Phi) and its certificate in order to get a DL.

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

Hello Fel! Can I still get a state ID even if I have my own ND DL already with me? Is it ok to get one? I just want another ID to support my ND DL. wala lang just for fun lang gud hehehe

Felicity said...

probably pero naa na man ka DL which is issued sa DMV, doble na bali :) non-driver's id ang State ID man, kana DL para drivers of course ;)