Friday, December 12, 2008

Merry Christmas to All!

Philippine Christmas Song (practice) sang by my Co-teachers during the Faculty Christmas Party

Christmas here is really different from what I got used to. In Philippines, Christmas starts as early as November. They say that when a month ends with -er, it is Christmas season already. That is why, some people decorate Christmas decors in September but mostly, decorating starts in November. All the schools, homes and other establishments feel the Christmas spirit when decorations are displayed. It is the same here in US, people start to decorate in late November but still I can feel the difference in celebrating Christmas here. Maybe people are too busy with work and we don't have much time visiting our friends here. All my friends are miles away from where I live and every one's busy with their own chores. I miss my hometown so much, I miss my family and friends. Especially this Holiday season, friends and family are always together and people share the warmth of Christmas joyfully.

Every 16th of December, people start carolling in our neighborhood but some people start earlier. All the kids will form a group and bring their spoons, forks or tin cans to use as their musical instruments for carolling. I like the cute kids singing the Christmas songs in their own tune and words. A peso will make them happy and they will always sing "Thank you, ang babait ninyo, thank you! (You are so kind, thank You) and run, looking for another house. I remember when I was a kid, my mom had asked me to go to a store and buy something one night. But what I did, before I bought the thing that Mom asked me to buy, I sang a Christmas song first for the store owner and he gave me some coins. He knew me since he was my brother's Godparent and our neighbor. They enjoyed listening to my song and they laughed because after that, I spent the coins he gave me and bought candies from his store. I almost forgot to buy what my Mom asked me. There are kids like me even today. They like a "solo flight" as what we call it for carollers who are alone or on their own. Thinking what I did makes me chuckle. It was a funny experience :) I didn't care before, as long that I have sang my song heartily and I have something in return. When I grew up, I sang with friends, co-teachers and co-club members. We received more from the residents because we gave them a letter informing them why we did the carolling and for what purpose we will use the money.

The other things that I miss are the fireworks and the Noche Buena (Midnight Dinner). When midnight of the 24th comes, parents will wake up their children for the noche buena and to witness the firecrackers and fireworks display. People are too busy with their own fireworks too that some end up in the hospital. We used to stay up till dusk and spent the whole time chatting and eating. The guys will drink and play with fire crackers. But here, there are no fireworks or firecrackers because these are not allowed for use. Residents are only allowed to play with fireworks every Independence day (June) which is really opposite to Philippines' tradition. I really miss those days... It makes me home-sick. Last Christmas here, hubby and I planned to have a noche buena but he was sick so as what most Americans usually do, we just slept after opening our gifts and heard no sound in our surrounding. But this year, I will try our best to prepare for Noche Buena. I want this year a very merry Christmas for us. I wish a merry Christmas to all of you too!

No comments: